Making Christmas cookies was a big tradition in my family and a few years ago when I was at the beginning of my health journey, it was a hard thing to let go of. I hated not being able to enjoy the cookies my family made, and not being able to make them together. I didn’t know how to express that the temptation of being around sweets without giving in was just too hard for me. It’s almost a love language in my family – sharing homemade cookies that you put time and effort into making look perfect, not for the recognition of their beauty, but it was just simply a way of showing love; the care you put into creating them.
Finally, last year during the holidays, I was able to enjoy some sweets without going over board (sometimes) and I decided to even make a few paleo cookies myself to bring along. I didn’t experiment a whole lot, and made recipes that others had already perfected.
This year, I wanted some self-therapy so decided to make a few recipes of my own! I came up with these cake cookies by complete accident after failing to make meringues and fell in love with them. Not overwhelmingly sweet, soft, and a touch of salt right on top.
These are perfect cookies year round – so enjoy!
Salted Coconut Cake Cookies
Makes: 2 1/2 dozen
2 cups almond flour
2 Tbsp. coconut flour
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
Large flake sea salt for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1. Mix all dry ingredient in a large bowl (first 5 ingredients)
2. Mix all wet ingredients (vanilla, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup) in small bowl and add to dry ingredients, mix well
3. Fold in pecans and shredded coconut
4. Drop large spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets and sprinkle flaked sea salt onto spoonfuls.
5. Bake 12-14 minutes until golden edges. Let cook on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to drying rack.
Let me know how they turn out!